Located along the scenic Coldwater River midway between Hernando and Senatobia, Mississippi, Coldwater is a quiet little community of tree-lined streets and friendly people with a “down home” atmosphere.
The fertile soil along the Coldwater River attracted early settlers to the area from Virginia, the Carolinas, and Alabama. The Coldwater River and its tributaries ting the city providing opportunities for recreation and fishing.
Coldwater provides a small town atmosphere with a mix of neighborhoods filled with both historic and contemporary homes. With its multiple developable tracts, it is no wonder that Coldwater is attractive for both residential and business development.
We welcome you to Coldwater … A Wonderful Place to Call Home.
Notable Dates in Senatobia History
1860 Senatobia received its charter in 1860.
1874 Many wooden buildings on Main and Front Streets were destroyed by fire.
1875 The cornerstone of the Tate County Courthouse, located in downtown Senatobia, was laid on June 24.
1878 The yellow fever epidemic struck Senatobia.
1880 The newspaper, Tate County Record was first published, later becoming The Democrat.
1881 Senatobia had two gristmills and cotton gins, each in first class running order. Single railroad fare to Memphis was $1.55.
1882 The Senatobia town charter was misplaced. Anyone knowing of its whereabouts was asked to report the same to the mayor or aldermen. The town treasury was reported as being exhausted but out of debt.
1885 N.M. Ward of Senatobia advertised the sixteen-room Greely Hotel for sale. The hotel was reported to be located on the south end of Front Street.
1890 Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic, “a pleasant to the taste lemon syrup,” was sold by Senatobia merchants J.W. Hill & Son and by V.P. Still & Co.
1891 In October of this year, a group of 172 Confederate veterans held a reunion in Senatobia.
1892 C.C. Perkins & Co. advertised gingham dresses from 6 1/2 cents up to $1.00. “The cash goes further at C.C. Perkins & Co.”
1897 A new water system was installed replacing wells and cisterns formerly used. A power generating plant was installed in a building on North Ward Street. Lights were turned on from 5 p.m.-10 p.m. and again from 5 a.m.-8 a.m.
1898 Senatobia received its first telephone system; a one-year subscription to the Senatobia Democrat cost $1.25.
1900 Senatobia’s population was 1,200. Senatobia Bank, Tate County’s longest continuously operated and locally owned bank, opened on April 1, 1900. The bank became Sycamore Bank in 2005.
1901 A smallpox epidemic struck Senatobia.
1903 A. L. McCormick built an Opera House on Front Street. The Opera House presented stage shows, minstrels and served as a community meeting place. Later, four-reel motion pictures were shown here.
1910 A group of Senatobia citizens asked the Mayor and Board of Aldermen to pass ordinances restricting the use of automobiles on the streets in town. Automobiles were said to be a source of danger and they frightened horses.
1912 Ice was sold from a new icehouse, which was located in an insulated warehouse on the railroad tracks in Senatobia.
1914 Senatobia’s first concrete sidewalks were built.
1915 The Tate County Agricultural High School, which later became Northwest Community College, was opened in Senatobia on Sept. 15, 1915.
1916 Peoples Bank, Senatobia’s second longest continuously operated bank, opened for business; it later become First Tennessee Bank.
1917 Senatobia’s first gas pump was installed on the southwest corner of Main and Front Streets.
1919 All vehicles in Senatobia were required to have two lights on the front and one on the rear. The speed limit was 12 miles per hour.
1920 Senatobia’s first sewer system was completed.
1926 Senatobia had 241 customers serviced by electricity.
1927 Senatobia streets were paved and the Tate County Agricultural High School expanded to include a junior college.
1928 Northwest Junior College gained accreditation; the Gloria Theatre opened on Center Street, charging 10 cents and 25 cents for admission.
1930 Senatobia had a population of 1,264.
1932 Senatobia Bank and Peoples Bank kept their doors open during the great depression while many others closed permanently.
1936 Highway 51 was paved.
1938 A new Senatobia high school was completed.
1939 Senatobia extended its city limits, almost doubling its population.
1941 Dial telephone service was installed.
1949 Senatobia’s first traffic light was installed at Hwy. 51 and Main Street costing $400.
1950 Senatobia’s population was 2,108 and the Senatobia Public Library opened.
1954 Senatobia’s first manufacturing plant, the William Carter Company, opened.
1955 Senatobia Chamber of Commerce was organized.
1961 Chromcraft, the largest manufacturer in Tate County, opened its Senatobia facility.
1962 Interstate 55 opened, connecting the state of Mississippi with points north.
1976 Senatobia Community Hospital, later renamed North Oaks Regional Medical Center, admitted its first patient.
1978 Baddour Memorial Center, a residential facility for adults with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities, opened.
2000 Senatobia’s population was 6,682.2006 Senatobia’s second interchange off I-55 was opened.
2016 ABB, a global industrial technology leader, opened in Senatobia, creating 150 jobs.
2019 ABB announced $36m dollar expansion, creating 200 additional new jobs